Recent Issues within the Auditing and Accounting Community
The instructors at Corporate Compliance Seminars are constantly reviewing events and issues for use in our classroom training events. We look at proposed regulations, changes in standards and newly effective regulations.
We review books and articles on best practices for internal control, internal audit, assurance services and other accounting and information technology related topics
The following links are provided to information sources that we have found to be useful in our research development efforts.
COSO Releases Draft of Internal Control Framework Update
September 18, 2012
Click here to download the COSO exposure draft documents.
The Committee of Sponsoring Organizations of the Treadway Commission (COSO) - an organization providing thought leadership and guidance on internal control, enterprise risk management and fraud deterrence - has released for public comment an exposure draft of its updated documents covering Internal Control Frameworks.
Authored by PwC under the direction of COSO, the following documents are open for comment concerning Internal Control - Integrated Framework:
- Executive Summary
- Framework and Appendices
- Illustrative Tools for Assessing Effectiveness of a System of Internal Control
- Internal Control over External Financial Reporting: A Compendium of Approaches and Examples
Information for Audit Committees About the PCAOB Inspection Process
August 1, 2012
to download the PCAOB Information for Audit Committees About the PCAOB Inspection Process.
The PCAOB Chairman, James Doty, is consistent in expressing his on-going problems
with the acceptance of inspection findings by the audit firms under PCAOB regulation.
Recently, the PCAOB has released - "Information for Audit Committees about the PCAOB
Inspection Process." This report is focused on improving the understanding of the
inspection process by audit committees.
The PCAOB Regulator has the following suggestions for audit committee members:
- Have you asked your audit partner to inform you of your audit being selected for inspection?
- Did an inspection find issues with your audit workpapers?
- How did the audit firm respond to the inspection issues?
- What are the quality control issues did the PCAOB have with the audit firm's quality management process.
The three page Executive Summary will give the audit committee member real insight into the agenda of the PCAOB.
IFRS Learning Resources
October 10, 2011
to download a list of some English language IFRS resources available to accounting academicians,
students and others. Most of the Internet resources are available without charge (purchased access is indicated).
Important: This list is provided for your convenience only from the IFRS website. Neither the IASB nor the IFRS Foundation has reviewed
or approved the contents of any of the information sources cited. It is the responsibility of the user to evaluate
the content and usefulness of information.
COSO Releases Update of Internal Control - Integrated Framework for Public Comment
December 19, 2011
COSO has released, for public comment, an updated Internal Control – Integrated Framework (Framework) intended to help organizations improve performance with greater agility, confidence and clarity.
For the details on the update:
For John C. Blackshire, Jr. comments on the update:
Summary of Comments on the draft COSO 2012 Update
Concept Release on Auditor Independence and Audit Firm Rotation
PCAOB Release No. 2011-006 - Dated: August 16, 2011
PCAOB Rulemaking Docket Matter No. 37
Summary: The Public Company Accounting Oversight Board ("PCAOB" or "Board") is issuing a concept release to solicit public comment on ways that auditor independence, objectivity and professional skepticism could be enhanced. One possible approach on which the Board is seeking comment is mandatory audit firm rotation, which is explored in detail in this release. However, the Board seeks advice and comment on other approaches as well. The Board will also convene a public roundtable meeting in March 2012, at which interested persons will present their views.
Additional details about the roundtable will be announced at a later date.
For the details on the rulemaking:
PCAOB Rulemaking Document
Corporate Compliance Seminars recommends the following sources for additional input on this regulatory issue:
Offical PCAOB Press Release
Cooley LLP Comments by Cydney Posner
Journal of Accountancy: PCAOB Opens Discussion on Audit Firm Rotation
CFO Publishing: PCAOB Resurrects Auditor-Rotation Debate
Accounting Today: PCAOB Proposes Mandatory Auditor Rotation
Internal Control & CPA Focused Training Seminars
Corporate Compliance Seminars presents two families of professional continuing education (CPE) seminars:
Internal Control & CPA Focused Training Seminars (Details)
Internal Auditor Focused Training Seminars (Details)
The internal control seminars we present can benefit a variety of attendees:
- Non-accelerated filers who may just be getting their documentation underway for Section 404 compliance,
- Public companies looking to improve their effectiveness and efficiency of their Section 404 compliance,
- Nonprofit organizations, governmental agencies and other groups that want to improve the integration of their governance, risk and compliance (GRC) efforts,
- Executives and Board of Directors members who can gain insights from our "Best Practices" examples to really understand SOX Section 404,
- Anyone finds practical advice from our real-world experience with the implementation of internal controls over financial reporting (ICFR).
The internal audit seminars we present can benefit a variety of attendees:
- The new internal auditor can be oriented to the profession and the work,
- Auditors looking for improvements in their approach and knowledge,
- Professionals looking to improve the content of their workpapers and the impact of audit reports,
- Any organization that desires to improve the effectiveness of their internal audit department,
- Audit Managers looking for education concerning current audit issues,
- Anyone finds practical advice from our real-world experience with internal and external auditing.